Long Island street takeover erupts as drivers block road, perform donuts, burnouts: police

Aug 16, 2026 - 17:30
0 0
Long Island street takeover erupts as drivers block road, perform donuts, burnouts: police

Fifteen people were arrested, and seven vehicles were impounded after police descended on an alleged street takeover that brought reckless driving, burnouts and donuts to a Long Island roadway early Saturday, authorities said.

4 Fs

Live Your Best Retirement

Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom

Learn More
Retirement Has More Than One Number
The Four Fs helps you.
Fun
Funds
Fitness
Freedom
See How It Works

The Suffolk County Police Department said its Street Takeover Task Force got wind of the planned gathering through intelligence gathering and social media monitoring ahead of Friday night, Aug. 14.

Investigators learned the group was preparing to stage a takeover somewhere in Suffolk County, an area covering roughly 1,000 square miles across the eastern two-thirds of Long Island.

Police tracked the group as it moved between several locations throughout the night, authorities said.

VIRAL TEEN TAKEOVERS UNLEASH CHAOS NATIONWIDE AS MALLS, BEACHES AND RESTAURANTS BECOME BATTLEGROUNDS

Officers first broke up attempted gatherings near Commack Road and Sunrise Highway in Islip before disrupting another near Route 112 and Main Street in Patchogue.

Police finally intercepted the crowd around 12:50 a.m. Saturday near Woodside Avenue and Sawgrass Drive in Medford, where authorities said numerous vehicles had effectively shut down the roadway.

"Numerous vehicles effectively closed down the roadway on Sawgrass Drive by driving recklessly, performing stunts in the roadway, and doing donuts and burnouts," police said.

CITIES BRACE FOR HOLIDAY WEEKEND TEEN TAKEOVERS PUTTING BYSTANDERS AT DEADLY RISK, FORMER PROSECUTOR WARNS

Members of the Street Takeover Task Force responded to the scene, arresting 15 people, impounding seven vehicles and handing out multiple traffic tickets, according to the department.

Those arrested came from communities across Long Island and New York City, police said.

Fourteen of the 15 suspects were charged with both participating in an unlawful speed contest and spectating an unlawful speed contest. 

The crackdown comes just weeks after another massive street takeover rocked Suffolk County.

'MAYHEM' ERUPTS IN WEALTHY COASTAL ENCLAVE AS HUNDREDS ARRESTED IN MASSIVE TAKEOVER DURING JULY FOURTH WEEKEND

In that incident, police said at least 200 ATVs, dirt bikes and motorcycles flooded roads in Hauppauge and Brentwood, prompting another major law-enforcement response.

Three people were arrested, and 10 vehicles were impounded during that operation, according to Suffolk County Police.

The Suffolk County Police Department could not immediately be reached by Fox News Digital for comment.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Fibis

I am just an average American. My teen years were in the late 70s and I participated in all that that decade offered. Started working young, too young. Then I joined the Army before I graduated High School. I spent 25 years in, mostly in Infantry units. Since then I've worked in information technology positions all at small family owned companies. At this rate I'll never be a tech millionaire. When I was young I rode horses as much as I could. I do believe I should have been a cowboy. I'm getting in the saddle again by taking riding lessons and see where it goes.

Comments (0)

User