Active shooter reported at San Diego Islamic center as SWAT, emergency crews respond

May 18, 2026 - 15:03
0 1
Active shooter reported at San Diego Islamic center as SWAT, emergency crews respond

San Diego Police responded Monday afternoon to reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego.

4 Fs

Live Your Best Retirement

Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom

Learn More
Retirement Has More Than One Number
The Four Fs helps you.
Fun
Funds
Fitness
Freedom
See How It Works

The San Diego Police Department said the threat was neutralized in an update shared on X just after 3 p.m. ET.

Officers were on scene at the mosque in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue and urged the public to avoid the area as the situation unfolded.

A large police and SWAT presence gathered outside the Islamic Center, according to FOX 5 San Diego, while San Diego Fire-Rescue crews also responded to the scene.

NINE DEAD, 13 WOUNDED IN SECOND TURKISH MASS SHOOTING IN TWO DAYS

Children from nearby schools were seen being evacuated as officers established a perimeter around the area, the outlet reported.

MISSISSIPPI HOMECOMING FOOTBALL GAME SHOOTING: 4 SUSPECTS ARRESTED AFTER 6 DEAD, 20 INJURED

Mayor Todd Gloria said on X that he was aware of the situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego.

"I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement," he wrote on X. "Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area."

In another post, Gloria wrote, "Please avoid the area and follow instructions from public safety officials. We will share updates as more information becomes available."

MASS KILLINGS FALL TO LOWEST LEVEL IN NEARLY TWO DECADES, NATIONAL DATABASE SHOWS

California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s press office said the governor has been briefed on the "evolving situation" at the Islamic Center.

"The Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (@Cal_OES) is coordinating with local law enforcement," Newsom’s team wrote on X. "We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities."

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Fibis

I am just an average American. My teen years were in the late 70s and I participated in all that that decade offered. Started working young, too young. Then I joined the Army before I graduated High School. I spent 25 years in, mostly in Infantry units. Since then I've worked in information technology positions all at small family owned companies. At this rate I'll never be a tech millionaire. When I was young I rode horses as much as I could. I do believe I should have been a cowboy. I'm getting in the saddle again by taking riding lessons and see where it goes.

Comments (0)

User