THOMAS: A ‘Pawn’ in Louise Lucas’ Game of Life

May 18, 2026 - 16:00
0 0
THOMAS: A ‘Pawn’ in Louise Lucas’ Game of Life

“I know nothing” was what Virginia Senate President Pro Tempore Louise Lucas told the Virginian-Pilot over the weekend regarding the raid of her businesses. However, a man facing federal indictment for allegedly collecting $100,000 in COVID relief money fraudulently, tells a different story.

4 Fs

Live Your Best Retirement

Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom

Learn More
Retirement Has More Than One Number
The Four Fs helps you.
Fun
Funds
Fitness
Freedom
See How It Works

Carlton Upton Jr., a man who reportedly has business ties to Lucas, told the press on Friday that he was “just a pawn” in an alleged scheme to apply for and collect money meant to protect Virginians whose employers were closed due to the fears of the Coronavirus.

According to the report by the Virginian-Pilot, Upton Jr. reportedly has connections to VA Freedom Life, a company for which Lucas is listed as owner and CEO. Along with the COVID claim, he allegedly gave false information about his criminal record and business income, according to the federal indictment.

Upton Jr. must be hearing a bus revving its engine—you know, the one he might be getting thrown under. Thus, his willingness to use a more polite version of the “Mayor Marion Barry” defense.” Meanwhile, the only statement Lucas has made attributes the raid to retribution from the Trump administration, for her leadership in the now defunct redistricting.

What is interesting still is the silence from many of Virginia’s leading Democrats. For example, Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine rarely miss an opportunity to issue rebukes about the President Trump, yet here we are two weeks later and nothing from either of them.

The day of the raid, Gov. Abigail Spanberger issued this statement: “The Governor is aware of today’s law enforcement operation in Portsmouth. In the absence of additional details, the Governor will not be commenting on a federal investigation at this time.” Really? Is this the same party that was holding “No More Kings” marches because there is a new Air Force One and Trump is building a ballroom at the White House?

Sometimes the silence is deafening.

Not that Lucas would be alone. According to the Department of Justice, as of early this year 3,500 people were charged with COVID relief fraud and over 2,500 were convicted. The Small Business Administration has referred 562,000 other cases of suspected fraudulent loans to the FBI totaling $22 billion. Watchdog groups say that the actual number could be as high as $1 trillion lost due to fraud or misspending.

In other words, make a cookie jar that big, and you can’t be surprised by how many kids will get caught with their hands in it.

Economists point to COVID aid money being the chief driver of why inflation has hit Americans so hard. Each dollar printed and inserted into the economy diluted the value of the ones already out there.

Maybe the governor can make a statement on what that has done to her “affordability agenda.”

We publish a variety of perspectives. Nothing written here is to be construed as representing the views of The Daily Signal.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Fibis

I am just an average American. My teen years were in the late 70s and I participated in all that that decade offered. Started working young, too young. Then I joined the Army before I graduated High School. I spent 25 years in, mostly in Infantry units. Since then I've worked in information technology positions all at small family owned companies. At this rate I'll never be a tech millionaire. When I was young I rode horses as much as I could. I do believe I should have been a cowboy. I'm getting in the saddle again by taking riding lessons and see where it goes.

Comments (0)

User