Several Victims Killed In San Diego Islamic Center Shooting; Teen Suspects Dead

May 18, 2026 - 17:01
0 0
Several Victims Killed In San Diego Islamic Center Shooting; Teen Suspects Dead

At least three adult victims, including a security guard, were killed following an active shooter incident near the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont area on Monday. 

4 Fs

Live Your Best Retirement

Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom

Learn More
Retirement Has More Than One Number
The Four Fs helps you.
Fun
Funds
Fitness
Freedom
See How It Works

The security guard shot to death “played a pivotal role” in stopping more casualties, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a press conference. The suspects’ motive remains unclear, and the FBI is assisting in the investigation. Wahl said the incident would be treated as a hate crime “until it’s not.”

Police confirmed two male suspects, aged 17 and 19, died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a car outside the mosque. All three adult male victims were staff at the center.

The San Diego Police Department said officers responded to the center located at 7050 Eckstrom Avenue within four minutes of reports of gunfire. Police found all three victims dead outside the center, then cleared each room amid a “chaotic” scene. No officers fired a shot during the active shooter incident.

“The threat at the Islamic center has been neutralized,” the police department said on social media. An eyewitness told CBS he called 911 after hearing what he believed were about 30 gunshots. A landscaper was also shot at but was unharmed.

“We were concerned and putting out heads down inside the house,” the man said to a local reporter.

Aerial footage showed armed security guards escorting school-aged children off the scene.

San Diego Democratic Mayor Todd Gloria said he was monitoring the situation.

“I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement,” Gloria posted to social media. “Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area.” 

“Please avoid the area and follow instructions from public safety officials. We will share updates as more information becomes available,” he added.

A second press conference is expected Monday evening.

This is a breaking story. Refresh the page for updates.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Fibis

I am just an average American. My teen years were in the late 70s and I participated in all that that decade offered. Started working young, too young. Then I joined the Army before I graduated High School. I spent 25 years in, mostly in Infantry units. Since then I've worked in information technology positions all at small family owned companies. At this rate I'll never be a tech millionaire. When I was young I rode horses as much as I could. I do believe I should have been a cowboy. I'm getting in the saddle again by taking riding lessons and see where it goes.

Comments (0)

User