Arrest Of Former Prince Andrew Prompts Potential Succession Shake-Up
The British government is considering removing former Prince Andrew from the line of succession following his recent arrest.
Live Your Best Retirement
Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom
The legislation would prevent Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from ever becoming king, the BBC reported.
Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his titles last year, but is still eighth in line to the throne. He would only be next in line following the deaths of Prince William, William’s three children, Prince Harry, and Harry’s two children.
Removing Mountbatten-Windsor from succession would be the “right thing to do,” Defence Minister Luke Pollard told the BBC.
The government would not take steps to remove Mountbatten-Windsor until after the police investigation concludes, Pollard said. He added that he hoped the move would “enjoy cross-party support.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has indicated support for such legislation, The Times reported. Buckingham Palace has said it will not interfere should Parliament proceed.
Still, James Murray, chief secretary to the Treasury, told the BBC that “any questions in that sphere would be quite complicated.”
Thames Valley Police arrested Mountbatten-Windsor on his 66th birthday on Thursday, The Daily Wire previously reported. He was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office but released later that day, according to the BBC.
His was the first arrest of a member of the British royal family since Charles I was arrested almost 400 years ago.
Law enforcement said Mountbatten-Windsor was being investigated over concerns that he shared “confidential material,” reportedly including trade documents, with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor could face life in prison if convicted.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said at the time.
The Metropolitan Police expanded the investigation Friday and is contacting all of Andrew’s former protection officers, The Times reported.
King Charles III called for a fair investigation into Mountbatten-Windsor.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he said in a statement following Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre, who died by apparent suicide last year, alleged that Mountbatten-Windsor sexually abused her when she was 17. He previously settled a civil lawsuit brought by Giuffre in 2022 without admitting wrongdoing.
“He knows what he’s done and he can attest to that,” Giuffre said in 2019. “He knows exactly what he’s done and I hope he comes clean about it.”
Giuffre’s family welcomed the arrest.
“Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty,” they said. “He was never a prince.”
“For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you,” they added.
Leif Le Mahieu contributed to this report.
Originally Published at Daily Wire, Daily Signal, or The Blaze
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0