Minneapolis Officials Refuse To Stop Targeting Hotels That Housed ICE Agents
The Minneapolis City Council is slow-walking the renewal of liquor licenses for two local hotels over alleged safety concerns related to housing Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.
Live Your Best Retirement
Fun • Funds • Fitness • Freedom
The two hotels, the Depot and the Canopy hotels, were both targeted by anti-ICE agitators last month, resulting in a standoff between demonstrators and state police.
The council first debated the licenses in early February and voted to delay renewing the license until Tuesday’s meeting. The Minneapolis officials then voted 11-2 to proceed with an investigation, further delaying the renewal process until Thursday, according to CBS News.
“It’s our job as council members to do what we can to further investigate and address those concerns and public safety is one of the No. 1 things that we do as a body,” Aurin Chowdhury, the chair of the city council, said, per Kare 11.
A lawyer for the city, however, warned that too much delay could lead to legal consequences, CBS News reported.
“Not respecting staff input and opinion here could have tremendous legal and financial impact,” council member Elizabeth Shaffer said.
Shaffer explained that the holdup could give the wrong message that Minneapolis “is not a safe place to do business,” according to CBS.
When asked whether housing ICE at the hotels was a reason to deny a liquor license, city attorney Quinn O’Reilly replied “no,” the news outlet reported.
“As we advised previously, there needs to be connection between licensed activity and identifying concerns,” O’Reilly said. “So who stays at the hotel, there’s no nexus between the license activity, which is the serving of alcohol and the activity that which we are concerned.”
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey described the hotels as “economic engines for our city,” according to CBS.
“Revoking their licenses doesn’t just hurt the venue — it hurts the workers, vendors, and nonprofits that rely on these spaces to keep running,” he said.
Daily Wire reporter Brecca Stoll reported from the Canopy last month as anti-ICE protestors banged drums and shouted.
Protestors have gathered outside the Canopy Hilton Hotel where they think ICE is staying and are banging instruments.
One sign says “WE’VE DONE IT BEFORE AND WE’LL DO IT AGAIN.” pic.twitter.com/WJMlJ85mKX
— Brecca Stoll (@breccastoll) January 10, 2026
Since then, the Trump administration has ended the massive immigration operation, known as “Operation Metro Surge,” White House border czar Tom Homan announced last week.
“I have proposed, and President Trump has concurred, that the surge operation conclude,” Homan said during a press conference in Minneapolis on Thursday.
Homan also emphasized that it doesn’t mean the Trump administration is backing down from its mass deportation efforts.
“A significant drawdown has already been underway this week and will continue through the next week,” Homan said. “We have a lot of work to do across this country to remove public safety risks who shouldn’t even be in this country and to deliver on President Trump’s promise for strong border security and mass deportation. Law enforcement officers drawn down from this operation will either return to the duty station or be assigned elsewhere to achieve just that.”
Originally Published at Daily Wire, Daily Signal, or The Blaze
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0